Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crushed Cherry Tomato Pasta

Dee

Before we go too far you have to know something about me to understand what a massive leap I took in my first cooking challenge. I have been traumatised by the humble tomato. Not the tomato itself but the fact that sometime before I was 8 my Mum made me sit at the dinner table until I ate the tomatoes from the salad. I sat and cried and sat some more I could not bring myself to eat that juicy, red section of antioxident giving goodness. My senses would not allow it. To this day I choose to not eat juicy, soft, mushy, fleshy fruit or veg. I like my fruit fresh, crisp and cold.

So, Crushed Cherry Tomato Pasta. If the tomato had been this awesome when I was 6 I may not have maligned the tomato all these years.


200g Spaghetti - 500g cherry tomatoes, halved - 50g butter - 4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced - 1 clove garlic, crushed - 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar - sea salt and cracked black pepper - 1/2 cup chopped parsley leaves - shaved parmesan to serve.


Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 10-12 mins or until aldente. Drain. Return to the saucpan and keep warm. Place tomatoes in a bowl and crush with a potato masher. Set aside.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan ocer medium hear. all the butter and cook until melted. add spring onions and garlic (at this point your mouth will be salivating) cook for 1 minute.Add red wine vinegar, tomatoes,salt and pepper and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. Add to the pasta with the parsley and toss to combine. Serve with shaved parmesan.


The recipe is for two but I think this is not right. I doubled the recipe and fed 6 with left overs. I was looking forward to eating those left overs but they disappeared in the middle of the night. This disappearing act is a very good sign that this meal will be seen again, soon, at our table.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails