Sunday, February 14, 2010

and on the topic of love and all things sweet.....

lets talk about chocolate, and inparticular today Chocolate Torte.

Firstly,sorry about the overload of chocolate cake. You see, I wrote this post a couple of days ago and planned to post it today but my sister bet me to the punch line with her own yummy chocolate cake recipe, so I decided not to post my recipe. But I've had a little think and really, you just can't have too much chocolate or chocolate cake. So enjoy!

Otherwise known as "What-diet?-It's-my-birthday Chocolate Torte"

This week Hubby celebrated his birthday, and while age is not important, I don't mind reminding him that he is older than me.

Anyone that knows my hubby knows that he has a very dry sense of humour, loves his steak & LOVES chocolate. So each year I'm always on the hunt for just the perfect chocolate cake recipe, and this year I think I've hit the jackpot.

I found this recipe in the latest Christmas edition of the Australian Women's Weekly magazine. This light, moist cake is matched up to with a rich chocolate cream & ganache - a perfect marriage.

There are a few elements to this cake so you should allow yourself a little time to prepare it. Don't be as foolish as myself and try to make this cake between piano lessons & dinner reservations after working all day!!!






Chocolate Cake Ingredients

125gm dark chocolate, chopped
1C water
180gm butter, softened
2C brown sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3C self-raising flour
1/3C cocoa powder
2/3C almond meal

  • Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Grease 2 20cmx30cm shallow cake pans and line the base with baking paper.


  • Combine the chocolate and water in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool slightly.


  • Beat butter & sugar together until smooth & creamy. Add the eggs one at a time. Sift together the flour and cocoa; stir in the almond meal. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in warm chocolate mixture.


  • Divide mixture evenly between the prepared pans & bake for 25mins or until cooked. Stand in pans for 10 minutes before turning onto cooling racks.

Chocolate Custard Cream

125gm butter, softened
2/3C store bought thick custard
75gm dark chocolate, melted & cooled
1tbs cocoa powder, sifted
2tbs icing sugar, sifted

  • Beat the butter until as pale as possible


  • Combine the custard, melted chocolate, cocoa & icing sugar


  • Gradually, beat the custard mixture into the butter until well combined


Chocolate Ganache

500gm dark chocolate, chopped
300ml cream

  • Combine the chocolate and cream in a large heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan or simmering water and stir until chocolate melts


  • Place in refrigerator for 30 mins, stirring frequently, or until thickened to a spreadable consistency.


Assembly

  • Cut the cooled chocolate cakes in half lengthways. Place one half on a serving platter. Spread with 1/3 of the chocolate custard cream. Top with another chocolate cake half. Continue layering with the remaining chocolate custard cream and chocolate cake, finishing with the chocolate cake. Cover well with plastic wrap & place in the fridge overnight.


  • Spread the log with the chocolate ganche. Set aside for ganache to set before slicing and serving.


Hints

  1. Chocolate Cake - I placed the chocolate & water together in a microwaveable bowl and placed it in the microwave. On high power I turned the microwave on for 45secs, then stirred the mixture. Continue this until water & chocolate are combined.


  2. I placed all the chocolate cake mixture in a large rectangle cake tin, then once cooled I cut it lengthways to create the torte shape.


  3. Making the chocolate cake the day before is a good hint because I didn't and found that because the cake is beautifully light it crumbled when I was trying to slice it to serve.

1 comment:

  1. don't eat my cake. i have been shamed by the awesomeness of my sister. okay eat my cake but not on your birthday. if it's your birthday only eat kristie's cake. in fact on my birthday i am only going to eat the cgocolate custard cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails